Earning College Credits

Earning college credits while in high school can be a great opportunity for students who want to enhance their high school experience and/or start their college experience early. Brodhead High School offers several ways of accumulating college credits. However, the following article offers some excellent talking points - Pros and Cons. Dual Enrollment - Pros and Cons

Articulated Credits (credits that 'move on' to college) - Brodhead High School has an agreement with Blackhawk Technical which allows for many classes to be taught for articulated credit. Articulated credits come in two forms: Advanced Standing and Transcripted Credit. There is no fee for an articulated credit class, other than a typical fee for consumable materials.

  • Advanced Standing means that specific course standards are met and the college course is waived providing the student earns a letter grade of B or better. A grade is not assigned to a college transcript. These credits are good at Blackhawk Techincal College and will be honored at any WTCS college, providing the course is part of the intended program or major.
  • Transcripted Credit means that the curriculum is identical to the college course and the college course is waived providing the student earns a letter grade of C or better. A grade is assigned to a college transcript. These credits are good at Blackhawk Technical College and may be transferred to a 4-year college. How the credits transfer varies with each college. Students must request that an official transcript from Blackhawk Technical College be sent to their intended college.

Advanced Placement, or AP - Advanced Placement courses are high school classes taught at a rigorous level. The level of rigor is intended to prepare students for an advanced placement exam. College credits are earned based on passing the advanced placement exam. The exam is scored on a scale of 1 to 5 points, with a typical passing grade of 3, 4 or 5. Coursework or a class grade does not earn college credit. Students must register in advance prior to taking an AP exam. There is a fee for AP exams. How credits transfer vary from college to college. Some colleges waive classes while others award elective credits. Either way, the rigor of the class is helpful in preparing students for the rigor of college coursework.

Project Lead the Way (PLTW) - There are several courses offered for transcripted credit through our technology education department. These courses are identified at PLTW courses. Successful completion of the course and exam will provide students an opportunity for transcripted credit from Milwaukee School of Engineering. Students may request that an official transcript from Milwaukee School of Engineering be sent to their intended college in order to receive credit.

Porter Scholar Program - Beloit College offers students who rank in the top 10% of their junior class the option of applying to be Porter Scholars their senior year. Porter Scholars are able to take one course, tuition free, on the Beloit College campus each semester. Students must apply for the program and be accepted, then can register for any class open to Beloit College freshmen. Students must provide their own transportation and pay for textbooks (some materials may be rented). Beloit College credits may be transferred to any college of their choice. Students need to know that this is the start of their college permanent record; students must provide a college transcript to their intended college.

Enrolling in summer college courses as a Special Student - High school students may enroll in summer college courses as a 'special student'. These courses are paid for by the student and/or parents. The advantage to enrolling and paying for these classes on your own is that they are not applied to the high school transcript, unless the student makes a special request. There are pros and cons to having the class listed on the high school transcript, which can be discussed with your school counselor. College courses taken during the summer will set the high school student apart from others in the college applicant pool, providing the grade is good. It's also part of the student's college permanent record.

Early College Credit (4-year colleges) and Start College Now (technical college) - These programs offer students the option of taking courses not comparable to high school classes offered at limited or no cost to the high school student. Examples of classes include those classes not offered, or above and beyond the available curriculum. Classes may be taken at a technical, public or private college. Grades and credits are applied to the student's high school transcript. Grades of college classes will also become part of the student's college permanent record. Students are responsible for providing transportation. There are strict deadlines for enrollment and courses must be approved by the School Board.

Brodhead High School Academies (Health Careers, Welding, and CNC) - In combination with articulated credits, BHS is offering students the opportunity to take dual credit classes within the building in addition to offering students the opportunity to earn certificates and technical college diplomas, in addition to a high school diploma.

Youth Apprenticeship (YA) - Youth Apprentices are offered the opportunity to earn college credit and credit through work experience while in high school. This program is funded with a grant and district funds. Students are able to enroll in technical college courses while in high school and during the summer. These courses grant students both high school and college credit and are the start of the student's college permanent record. YA programs are offered in the areas of health, welding, finance, and information technology, to name a few.